[gmx-users] Pressure Coupling Problem

Joe Joe ilchorny at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:53:10 CEST 2009

HI Chris,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM, <chris.neale at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Hi Ilya,
>
> First thing that comes to mind is that it is strange to couple a coulombic
> switching function with PME. While this could possibly be done correctly, I
> doubt that it is in fact done in the way that you expect (i.e. correctly) in
> gromacs. In fact, I think that grompp/mdrun should probably throw an error
> here -- unless it is actually handled in the proper way, and a developer
> could help you here to figure out if you are indeed getting what you desire.
>
> coulombtype              = PME
> rcoulomb-switch          = .9
> rcoulomb                 = 1.0

I am pretty sure gromacs ignores the rcoulomb-switch parameter in the case
of PME but I will give it a try.

> However, it is not clear to me that this should cause a system to
> "continuously expand".
>
> Still, you do not give very good information about what you mean by
> "continuously expand". Can you please provide some information on that? e.g.
> amount of time and total volume change.

My box density goes from ~1.0 to .5 in 5 ps with a compressibility of 5E-05.
 It goes from ~1.0 to .94 in 300 ps with a compressibility of 5E-06. In both
case the slope of density(t) is negative and never levels off.