[gmx-users] x2top & Encad all-atom force field (vacuum)

darrellk at ece.ubc.ca darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 8 22:19:44 CEST 2009

Dear All,
I forgot to change the subject line of my previous post from
"Re:gmx-users Digest, Vol 60, Issue 40" to something more indicative
of my post, so I am resubmitting it with the appropriate subject title.
Please disregard my earlier post.

Please see my questions inline below.

Thanks.

Darrell

>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:58:54 +0200
>From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] x2top & Encad all-atom force field (vacuum)
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
>darrellk at ece.ubc.ca wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> I am resubmitting my question below as I did not receive a response and
>> am thinking that my previous e-mail was not recognized by the system or
>> missed. Could someone please provide me with an answer to my questions
>> below?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Darrell Koskinen

>>> My gro file does contain H atoms as well. In my extract of the gro file I
>>> only showed the first few lines of the gro file and these lines only
>>> have C atoms. Note that I receive the same message for the C atoms (i.e.
>>> "Can not find forcefield for atom C-1 with 0 bonds").
>>>
>>> I actually created the files ffencadv.n2t & ffgmx.n2t in my working
>>> directory since the only n2t file I could find in the gromacs directory
>>> was the ffoplsaa.n2t file and the tutorial did not mention the
>>> ffoplsaa.n2t file. Should I be modifying the ffoplsaa.n2t file instead?
>>> If so, can you please provide me some direction on what needs to be
>>> added to this file so that it recognizes the atoms in my graphene
>>> structure as I looked at this file but do not understand what some of
>>> the columns represent.
>>>
>>> Also, I thought that ffoplsaa was to be used for liquids and since my
>>> simulation is in an air environment, I thought that I should be using
>>> the encad force field in a vacuum and should therefore be modifying an
>>> encad n2t file. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>Encad is not made for vacuum. You have to verify your force field
>anyway, for publication purposes. OPLS will work just fine though.
>

>>> Also, could you also please explain the purpose of the n2t file as I
>>> looked in the gromacs manual and see no description of files with the
>>> n2t extension and their purpose.
>Check archive of the mailing list. This tool will be replaced in the
>near future (5.0), therefore there is no documentation.

As suggested, I searched the mailing list using the keyword "n2t". The
search returned 143 results. I read through all the posts but could not
find one that explained to me what each column in the the file
ffoplsaa.n2t represents. Could you please direct me to the specific post
that provides details on what each column represents in the ffoplsaa.n2t
file?

I am assuming that the first column represents the atom of interest (e.g.
C), whose parameters are determined by specification of the descriptor
in the second column (e.g. opls_157).

Thus, if we had "C opls_157" in n2t file, we would be assigning to C
the paramaters associated with carbon in either a CH3, CH2, or alcohol
molecule.

The 3rd column is a number, for example 0.085. Does this represent the
partial charge on the carbon atom in a CH3 or CH2 molecule?

The 4th column which is 12.011 I assume is the atomic mass.

The 5th column is an integer and I read that this integer represents the
number of protons in the molecule, correct?

Columns 6 through 13 have an atom followed by a number between 0 and 1.
For example, H 0.108.

So let us take an example from the n2t file:
C opls_157 0.085 12.011 4 H 0.108 H 0.108 H 0.108 O 0.140
Does this row mean that we are specifying that if x2top finds C in the
.gro file that the carbon atom will be assigned the force field
parameters associated with carbon in the molecule CH3O as defined in the
opls_157 force field? And, if this is the case, where does one find
information about the paramters specified in the opls_157 force field? I
searched the internet and the gromacs website but have found no
information on the opls_157 force field. And what do the fractions in
the above row represent?

Thanks again.

Darrell