[gmx-users] x2top & Encad all-atom force field (vacuum)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 8 22:30:04 CEST 2009

darrellk at ece.ubc.ca wrote:

> As suggested, I searched the mailing list using the keyword "n2t". The
> search returned 143 results. I read through all the posts but could not
> find one that explained to me what each column in the the file
> ffoplsaa.n2t represents. Could you please direct me to the specific post
> that provides details on what each column represents in the ffoplsaa.n2t
> file?
>
> I am assuming that the first column represents the atom of interest (e.g.
> C), whose parameters are determined by specification of the descriptor
> in the second column (e.g. opls_157).
>
> Thus, if we had "C opls_157" in n2t file, we would be assigning to C
> the paramaters associated with carbon in either a CH3, CH2, or alcohol
> molecule.

Yes.

> The 3rd column is a number, for example 0.085. Does this represent the
> partial charge on the carbon atom in a CH3 or CH2 molecule?

Yes.

> The 4th column which is 12.011 I assume is the atomic mass.

Right again.

> The 5th column is an integer and I read that this integer represents the
> number of protons in the molecule, correct?

Almost.  That number is how many bonds there are involving the atom specified
(i.e., how many atoms are connected to the particular reference atom).  You'll
note that this number corresponds to the same number of atom entries that follow
on the same line.

> Columns 6 through 13 have an atom followed by a number between 0 and 1.
> For example, H 0.108.
>
> So let us take an example from the n2t file:
> C opls_157 0.085 12.011 4 H 0.108 H 0.108 H 0.108 O 0.140
> Does this row mean that we are specifying that if x2top finds C in the
> .gro file that the carbon atom will be assigned the force field
> parameters associated with carbon in the molecule CH3O as defined in the
> opls_157 force field? And, if this is the case, where does one find
> information about the paramters specified in the opls_157 force field? I
> searched the internet and the gromacs website but have found no
> information on the opls_157 force field. And what do the fractions in
> the above row represent?

opls_XXX is not a force field, it is an atom type within the OPLS-AA force
field.  Brief descriptions of the atom types are found in ffoplsaa.atp.  The
fractions look like they define the bond lengths to the appropriate atoms (i.e.,
0.108 nm between the reference C and this atom, H).

If this information is accurate (I think it is); I'll post it to the wiki, if a
developer can confirm.  I have only limited experience playing with x2top.

-Justin