[gmx-users] Shift Electrostatic Summation

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Apr 15 07:37:20 CEST 2009

Shuangxing Dai wrote:
> Thank you for your help. Yes, when I found the user define part for
> electrostatics, I hope I can use this part since the analytic form of my
> potential is known. However, since there is a self energy term exist and
> then the whole energy cannot be decomposed to pair interactions because
> I cannot specify how much to each pair since the number of neighbours is
> unkown. That is why I am confused. So I still need an new electrostatic
> summation similiar to shift, not just a new pair interaction.
>
> And I cannot understand/find how the force for Shift electrostatic
> summation is calculated in force.c since there is no formula for force
> found. Or I find the wrong place? And if I want to modify the force
> formula for Shift, where is it?

This is because we use tables internally for this as well. The tables
are generated in tables.c.
However you may want to look at the self energy correction routines for
shift functions (I think it is called shift_util.c).

Decomposing energy is a very tricky business, and in most cases does not
give you any meaningful results.