[gmx-users] Carbohydrate MD Simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 1 00:12:42 CEST 2009

Nancy wrote:
> High-throughput "in silico" screening (e.g. for ligand-protein binding)
> has been performed on a number of systems.  How are such automated
> simulations performed (I assume they utilize molecular dynamics)?

I doubt that large classes of ligands have been done effectively with MD.
Docking is better suited to finding initial bound configurations, after which MD
can be useful in analyzing interactions over time.

Assumptions can be cleared up by reading Methods sections.  If anyone has a
method for using unbiased MD to demonstrate ligand binding in large classes of
ligands, I'd love to know about it.

-Justin

> [...]
>                 5: OPLS-AA/L all-atom force field (2001 aminoacid dihedrals)
>                 6: [DEPRECATED] Gromacs force field (see manual)
>                 7: [DEPRECATED] Gromacs force field with hydrogens for NMR
>                 8: Encad all-atom force field, using scaled-down vacuum
>         charges
>                 9: Encad all-atom force field, using full solvent charges
>
>                And I received the following error message:
>
>                -------------------------------------------------------
>                Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.0.5
>                Source code file: pdb2gmx.c, line: 429
>
>                Fatal error:
>                Atom C1 in residue TRP 1 not found in rtp entry with 24 atoms
>                            while sorting atoms
>                -------------------------------------------------------
>

>            Well, pdb2gmx thinks that TRE is tryptophan, so it's looking to
>            complete a TRP building block.  Furthermore, your procedure is
>            undoubtedly going to fail. Force fields and pdb2gmx are not
>         magic;
>            they are not equipped to handle any arbitrary molecule you
>         may want
>            to simulate.  None of the force fields provided with Gromacs will
>            contain information for trehalose by default.  There is
>         information
>            for glucose in some of the force fields (check the .rtp
>         files), and
>            you may be able to piece trehalose together from that
>         information.
>
>            Otherwise, you will have to go through the *very difficult and
>            time-consuming* process of parameterization:
>
>            http://oldwiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Parameterization
>
>            -Justin
>
>                Please help.
>

>                Thank you,
>
>                Nancy

>                before posting!
>                Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>                www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>                <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>
>                Can't post? Read
>         http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

>            --    ========================================
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> <http://vt.edu> | (540)
>         231-9080
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>            posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>            interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>            <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>
>            Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

>         before posting!
>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080