[gmx-users] Re: Free Energy Calculation

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:44:25 CEST 2009

Good question.

I guess the best proper solution would be to use a Parrinello-Rahman barostat.
But in Gromacs this is currently not implemented in a reversible way.

In practice I think the issues with the Berendsen thermostat are not relevant.
It does not generate the correct pressure and volume fluctuations,
but the average pressure and volume are correct. The effects of incorrect
fluctuations is negligible and is surely much smaller than simulating at the wrong
volume, which can have a large effect on solvation free energies.

I also think that issues with Berendsen pressure coupling are much less severe
than the issues with Berendsen temperature coupling. Berendsen tcoupl can have
significant effects on your ensemble. But in Gromacs 4.0 this can easily be avoided
by using the v-rescale thermostat.

Berk