[gmx-users] Re: Free Energy Calculation

Floris Buelens floris_buelens at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 16:32:33 CEST 2009

Hi David and Berk,

I guess the best proper solution would be to use a Parrinello-Rahman barostat.
>But in Gromacs this is currently not implemented in a reversible way.
>

> Yes, I would love to see a barostat that samples the correct distribution.

Can you clarify? The wording in the manual implies that Parrinello-Rahman coupling samples the correct distribution... When you say it's not reversible do I understand right that means you can't run your simulation backwards and get an identical result, if yes, is this ever relevant in practice for e.g. solvation free energy calculation? David, why don't you use Parrinello-Rahman coupling?
thanks,

Floris

>In practice I think the issues with the Berendsen thermostat are not relevant.
>It does not generate the correct pressure and volume fluctuations,
>but the average pressure and volume are correct. The effects of incorrect
>>fluctuations is negligible and is surely much smaller than simulating at the wrong
>volume, which can have a large effect on solvation free energies.

It seems fairly like you are right (assuming your first line is meant to refer to the Berendsen barostat), but I think no one knows for sure at this point whether it matters and when it might matter. I agree that simulating at an incorrect volume can be a big problem, however. This is unlikely, but can happen, which is why we now do the affine transformation I just mentioned when looking at solvation free energies.

Anyway -- I'd just like to see a proper barostat implemented at some point, then the paranoid (like me) can run with a proper barostat instead of worrying about whether or not this matters, AND someone could test whether observables they are interested in come out different depending on the choice of barostat.

David