[gmx-users] angular COM removal

Tomas Kubar tomas at molecular.cz
Tue Aug 11 19:07:20 CEST 2009

Hallo

Maybe try
comm-grps = protein all-but-protein
(all-but-protein being all atoms except those contained in protein)

I guess this problem is brought about by the way VCM groups are constructed:
src/kernel/readir.c, do_numbering(), line 1081 in 4.0.3
  if (grps->nr == 1) {
    groups->ngrpnr[gtype] = 0;
    groups->grpnr[gtype]  = NULL;
  } else {
    groups->ngrpnr[gtype] = natoms;
    snew(groups->grpnr[gtype],natoms);
    for(j=0; (j<natoms); j++) {
      groups->grpnr[gtype][j] = cbuf[j];
    }
  }

Indeed, grps->nr==1. If you add another VCM group, then grps->nr==2 and
the else branch is executed, which should do the trick, I believe. At
the same time, the removal of rotation of a group including almost all
atoms (solvent) should have a negligible effect on the velocities. I'm
testing that right now, because I've had the same problem, trying to
keep a DNA oligomer in the center of the box. (I'm aware of the possible
appearance of artifacts...) If this doesn't work, then I'm going to try
to hack do_numbering() a bit.

tomas