[gmx-users] Determining the energy of an individual atom

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 13 02:16:32 CEST 2009

Hi David,
Thank you for your comments.

The bulk of the graphene sheet is not polarized in the absence of a
connection to electrodes. In some experiments on graphene adsorption,
they show significant adsorption of ammonia, but in these experiments
they connected the graphene sheet to electrodes. Could this be assisting
in the adsorption of ammonia on the graphene sheet?

The edges of my graphene sheet are polarized since I have terminated the
edges with hydrogen atoms. I expected to see some adsorption in the bulk
of the graphene sheet resulting from VdW forces and significantly more
adorption on the edges due to the polarization. I also expected to see a
stronger adsorption energy for the adsorption on the edges. However, I
am not seeing even a single molecule being adsorbed either in the bulk
or on the edges. Could it be that the binding energy arising from VdW
forces is much weaker than the vibrational energy of the lattice atoms?
I should also add that hydrogen atoms attached to the edge of the
graphene lattice show even greater movement than the carbon atoms in the
graphene lattice. Is this is to be expected and is it the result of the
small mass of the hydrogen atoms and could this be impairing the
adsorption on the edges?

Again, your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

Darrell