[gmx-users] Unexpected Production of .pdb files

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 14 22:40:21 CEST 2009

Warren Gallin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am running GROMACS 4.0.5 on a peptide composed of 10 serine
> residues in a water box.
>
>     During the run, there have been several pairs of files being written
> into the working directory, for example:
>
>     step20230b_n5.pdb
>     step20230c_n5.pdb
>
>     When I look at the files in PyMol they appear to contain a slab of
> water, one or two ions and a fragment of the peptide.
>
>     I've gone back and checked and the peptide was intact in the
> starting system that had been energy minimized and had the waters
> equilibrated.
>
>     This is only happening in one run (Ser10) and not with two other
> decapeptides (Asp10 and Gly10) that have een set up and run identically.
>
>     The run doesn't seem to be affected, it's not throwing errors as far
> as I can see and continues running.
>
>     I have not found any mention of this in the manual.
>
>     Is this some weird glitch in my computer (writing intermediate data
> to a file?) or a known behavior of GROMACS under some conditions?
>
>     Just trying to understand what's happening.

These intermediate files are written when mdrun suspects that a crash might be
imminent, to allow you to diagnose the problem.  Check your .log file for
messages related to:

http://oldwiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#LINCS.2FSETTLE.2FSHAKE_warnings

-Justin

> Warren Gallin
> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use thewww

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080