[gmx-users] .top file from .gro file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 20 01:19:30 CEST 2009

sunny mishra wrote:
> Hi Mark and Justin,
>
> Thanks for the valuable advise and I want to do the last test but before
> I proceed I just want to make sure If I am doing everything correct.
>
> I got the 1K4C_cleanCG.seq file using grep command like this
>
> grep -A 1 1K4c_clean CG 1K4C_cleanCG.txt > 1K4C_cleanCG.seq
>
> Now my next step is to get the .ssd file for 1K4C_cleanCG.pdb which I
> cannot get and in that case I have to use 1K4C_clean.pdb in order to get
> .ssd file.
>
> And If i am correct here then my next step would be to get the .itp file
> for 1K4C_cleanCG. So my last question is that when I will use seq2itp.pl
> script which .seq file should I use and which .ssd file should I use to
> get the output .itp file. I mean this....
>
> seq2itp.pl 1K4C_cleanCG.seq 1K4C_clean.ssd > 1K4C_cleanCG.itp
>
>                                            OR
> seq2itp.pl 1K4C_clean.seq 1K4C_clean.ssd > 1K4C_clean.itp
>
> In the first command I don't think I can get the .ssd file(
> 1K4C_cleanG.ssd )  so thats why I am using 1K4C_clean.ssd. Now I dnt
> know if I am doing this wrong or correct but before proceeding i want to
> ask you guys to correct me at this point.

The .seq file should not depend at all on anything to do with the structure; the
amino acid sequence is invariant.  You can download the FASTA sequence from the
PDB and use that (accounting for any missing terminal residues); it shouldn't
make a difference.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080