[gmx-users] A charge group moved too far between two domain decomposition steps

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 21 02:06:09 CEST 2009

Chih-Ying Lin wrote:

> Hi
> In the system, one lysozyme + TIP3P water.
>
> After the two commands,
> grompp_mpi -v -f pr.mdp -c 6LYZ-EM-solvated.gro -p 6LYZ.top -o 6LYZ-PR.tpr
> mpiexec -np 16 mdrun_mpi -deffnm 6LYZ-PR
>

> pr.mdp, minim.mdp  and the error information is as follows.
> nsteps          = 5000          ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps
> How to solve the problem?
>
> Thank you
> Lin

> Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: domdec.c, line: 3651
>
> Fatal error:
> A charge group moved too far between two domain decomposition steps
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated

Well, you're being given a pretty explicit hint.  This is a very useful error
message.  You're system is blowing up.  I'd point to the relevant wiki site, but
it appears that oldwiki.gromacs.org is not operating...

In any case, better minimization and/or equilibration is necessary, as mdrun has
told you.

-Justin

> [...]
> epsilon_rf               = 78
> epsilon_r                = 1
> vdw-type                 = Cut-off
> rvdw                     = 1.4
>
> ; Temperature coupling
> Tcoupl                   = Berendsen
> tc-grps                  = Protein  Non-Protein
> tau_t                    = 0.1      0.1
> ref_t                    = 200      200
>
> ; Pressure coupling
> Pcoupl                   = No
>
> ; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
> gen_vel                  = yes
> gen_temp                 = 200.0
> gen_seed                 = 1735
>
> ; OPTIONS FOR BONDS
> constraints              = all-bonds
> constraint-algorithm     = Lincs
> unconstrained-start      = no
> lincs-order              = 4
> lincs-iter               = 1
> lincs-warnangle          = 30
>

> ; LINES STARTING WITH ';' ARE COMMENTS
> title           = Minimization of Lysozyme (1LW9.pdb)   ; Title of run
>
> ; The following lines tell the program the standard locations where to
> find cert
> ain files
> cpp             = /lib/cpp      ; Preprocessor
>
> ; Definea can be used to control processes
> define          = -DFLEXIBLE
>
> ; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
> integrator      = steep         ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
> minimizati
> on)
> emtol           = 1.0           ; Stop minimization when the maximum
> force < 1.0
>  kJ/mol
> nsteps          = 5000          ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps
> to perf
> orm
> nstenergy       = 1             ; Write energies to disk every nstenergy
> steps
> energygrps      = System        ; Which energy group(s) to write to disk
>
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how
> to calcul
> ate the
> interactions
> nstlist         = 5             ; Frequency to update the neighbor list
> and long
>  range forces
> ns_type         = simple        ; Method to determine neighbor list
> (simple, gri
> d)
> rlist           = 1.0           ; Cut-off for making neighbor list
> (short range
> forces)
> coulombtype     = cut-off       ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
> interact
> ions
> rcoulomb        = 1.0           ; long range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw            = 1.0           ; long range Van der Waals cut-off
> constraints     = none          ; Bond types to replace by constraints
> pbc             = xyz           ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080