[gmx-users] Graphene Sheet Rolling up into CNT

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 22 04:28:00 CEST 2009

Hey GROMACS Gurus,
I was wondering if you could enlighten me. I performed a simulation of a
graphene sheet in an ammonia gas at 240K using ffoplsaa parameters and
see that the graphene sheet begins to curl up into what appears to be a
nanotube. I did not run the simulation long enough to actually see it
form a nanotube, but it appears to be headed in that direction. I am not
sure if a graphene sheet would actually curl up on itself to form a CNT
at this temperature. I believe CNTs are formed by ablation of pure
graphite and therefore rolling up a graphene sheets must occur for the
CNTs to form, but assumed that the local temperature increase resulting
from the ablation was the cause of the rolling up. So I am wondering if
you might be able to give me some idea of why this is happening? Could
it be that the OPLS LJ parameters, since OPLS was created for liquids
and not gases, are creating forces too great for a gaseous simulation
thus causing too great an attraction between distant carbon atoms within
the graphene lattice, which manifests itself in the rolling up of the
graphene into a CNT? Or could the curling up be occurring because the
graphene sheet is free floating in space as would happen during
ablation. Maybe rolling up of graphene sheets does occur at such a low
temperature. I will do some research on this possibility, but in the
mean time please provide me your comments, if you can.

Thanks.

Darrell