[gmx-users] correlation function

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 23 00:40:48 CEST 2009

Jamie Seyed wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Thanks for the answers. I want to use g_analyze but it needs a file
> graph.xvg as an input file. How can I get that for calculation
> of auto-correlation function? Many Thanks in Advance/Jamie

The graph.xvg file contains the data for which you want to obtain the
autocorrelation function.  Many of the Gromacs analysis tools produce .xvg files
of whatever quantity they are measuring.  I suppose it would then be important
to figure out what type of data you are trying to obtain the autocorrelation
function for; that will determine which tool to use :)

-Justin

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     Jamie Seyed wrote:
>
>         Hi Mark,
>         Thanks for the information. Actually in 7.4 I found only
>         g_rotacf and
>         g_angle also g_sgangle that calculate rotation and angle correlation
>         function and in appendix D I could not find related topic... I
>         appreciate if
>         someone gives me more detail to do the job.
>         I want to calculate <R(0).R(t)> that R is coordinates vector
>         R(x,y,z) for
>         pure spce water.
>

>     If that's an auto-correlation function, then g_analyze does the job.
>     Searching for "correlation" in the manual was a good way to start.
>     That would also have found a whole section devoted to the topic,
>     which is good reading.
>

>         Also I have a question related to having a coordinate file. I
>         did a command
>         as
>         trajconv  -f  md.trr  -n f.ndx  -o md.xtc
>         I am supposing in this case md.xtc contains only x,y,z
>         coordinates. Is that
>         true?? Many Thanks in Advance/Jamie
>

>     Yes, since the compression algorithm used for .xtc only works on
>     positions. However it is a lossy compression, and if you want
>     full-precision positions-only, look at the options in trjconv -h.
>

>     Mark
>     posting!
>     Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

Justin A. Lemkul