[gmx-users] Re: Pull to separate dimer

Ragnarok sdf fabracht1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 01:53:54 CEST 2009

> Hi Justin, yes the intention is to pull the dimer apart within the plane of
> the bilayer. I've ran a few more tests changing a few of the parameters and
> got to one set that pulls my dimer apart apparently in a "friendly" way, I
> mean, using g_dist to monitor the COM distances I got an increment of 0.4 nm
> for a 500ps simulation. Below is my set of parameters. I have a few
> questions though. I don't seem to understand the relation between pull_k1
> and pull_rate1. I am sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but I
> thought that the rate of pulling would be determined by the force constant
> applied and the vector selected.

One other question is regarding a future application. I intend to calculate
the free energy of dimerization of my dimer. Using g_wham I would be able to
get that, right? Then I got a little confused again, for in a tutorial that
exaplains this procedure but using two argon molecules, there is a
constraint set between both atoms, and that is coupled to the lambda value.
I kind of understand that way of calculating free energy, since it is
similar to fep, where is calculate along reaction coordinates. Well, I would
really appreciate if someone could give me a reference or any indication on
reading material. Anyway, my set of parameters:
 ; Pull Code
pull  =  umbrella
pull-geometry  =  direction
pull_dim  =  Y Y N