[gmx-users] pdb2gmx -water-> grompp; grompp error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 25 20:26:57 CEST 2009

Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
> I have done that already! I use my local copy to make my files. but how
> can I get rid of this error? get into the oplsaanb.itp or include this
> water model in the topology file before oplsaa.itp?

I don't understand what you're saying you've already done.

The problem is this: when grompp attempts to assemble the .tpr file, it reads
all of the information from the ffoplsaa*.itp files.  It finds the directives
like [defaults], [atomtypes], etc in a pre-defined order.  If, later, it finds a
duplicate of these directives, it complains.  So when you #include your .itp
file with new [atomtypes], it generates the error because it is a duplicate
directive.  You have to include the new atom types in ffoplsaanb.itp in the
[atomtypes] directive of this file.  The rest of the topology shouldn't cause a
problem, just the [atomtypes] directive.

-Justin

> Payman
>

> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 14:14 -0400, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>> Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
>>> OK!
>>> here is the .itp file which I generated. I might upload it because it
>>> has passed the initial tests.
>>>
>>> ; This is an itp file to describe water's six-site model by H. Nada and
>>> J.P. J. M. Van der Eerden, J. Chem. Phys. Vol.118, no.16, pp7401-7413
>>> (2003)
>>> ; This model is a combination of TIP4P and TIP5P. It has three LJ sites
>>> and 3 Coulomb sites
>>> ; O-H bond length is 0.980A, HOH angle is 108.00degrees, LOL angle is
>>> 111.00 degrees, O-M and O-L are about 0.230A and 0.8892A respectively
>>>
>>> [ defaults ]
>>> ; non-bondedtype        combrule        genpairs        FudgeLJ
>>> FudgeQQ         N
>>> 1                       2               NO
>>>
>>> [ atomtypes ]
>>> ;name   mass    charge  ptype   c6      c12
>>> OW      15.9994 0.0     A       0.3115  0.714845562
>>> HW      1.00800 0.477   A       0.0673  0.11541
>>> MW      0.000   -0.866  D       0.00    0.00
>>> LW      0.00    -0.044  D       0.00    0.00
>>>
>>> [ moleculetype ]
>>> ;molname    nrexcl
>>> SOL            2
>>>
>>> [ atoms ]
>>> ; nr    atomtype        resnr   residuename     atom    cgnr    charge
>>> 1       OW              1       SOL             OW      1       0.0
>>> 2       HW              1       SOL             HW1     1       0.477
>>> 3       HW              1       SOL             HW2     1       0.477
>>> 4       MW              1       SOL             MW      1       -0.866
>>> 5       LW              1       SOL             LP1     1       -0.044
>>> 6       LW              1       SOL             LP2     1       -0.044
>>>
>>> [ settles ]
>>> ; OW    function        doh     dhh
>>> 1       1               0.0980  0.15856
>>>
>>> [ dummies3 ]
>>> ; These set of parameters are for M site which can be easily calculated
>>> using TIP4P calculations from tip4p.itp
>>> ; So, it will be described as dummy site 3: r(v)= r(i) + a*(r(i)-r(j)) +
>>> b*(r(i)-r(k))
>>> ; const = |OH|/{|OH|*cos(HOH/2)} => Due to vector algebra a=b=const/2.
>>> Remember that OM is in the same direction of OH bonds.
>>> ; Remember this site is in the same plane of OH bonds; so, its function
>>> 1
>>> ;
>>> ; site  from            function        a               b
>>> 4       1  2  3         1               0.199642536     0.199642536
>>>
>>> ; Now we define the position of L sites which can be obtained from
>>> tip5p.itp
>>> ; So, it will be described as dummy site 3out: r(v) = r(i) +
>>> a*(r(i)-r(j)) + b*(r(i)-r(k)) + c*(r(ij)Xr(ik))
>>> ; const1 = {|OL|*cos(LOL/2)}/{|OH|*cos(HOH/2)} => Due to vector algebra
>>> bonds, a minus sign is added. This part is similar to M site.
>>> ; const2 = {|OL|*sin(LOL/2)}/{|OH|*|OH|*sin(HOH)} => The denominator is
>>> the magnitude of vector product of OH bonds.
>>> ; This sites are tetrahedral sites; so, its function 4
>>> ;
>>> ; site  from            function        a               b
>>> 5       1  2  3         4               -0.437172388    -0.437172388
>>> 8.022961206
>>> 6       1  2  3         4               -0.437172388    -0.437172388
>>> -8.022961206
>>>
>>> [ exclusions ]
>>> 1       2       3       4       5       6
>>> 2       1       3       4       5       6
>>> 3       1       2       4       5       6
>>> 4       1       2       3       5       6
>>> 5       1       2       3       4       6

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080