[gmx-users] Pressure swings during preliminary runs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 25 21:23:20 CEST 2009

Warren Gallin wrote:
> HI,
>
>     I am trying to simulate the behavior of short peptides in an aqueous
> solution.
>
>     When I look at the log of the progress of initial minimization runs
> and longer production runs I am seeing crazy variations in the pressure,
> including negative values and positive values well into the 100's of bar.
>
>     The temperature is equilibrating and stable, so I am thinking that I
> have missed some salient feature of the barostat.
>
>     In one case I am not setting any of the relevant barostat
> parameters, relying on the default values to work - is there someplace
> where i can find waht the defaults values would be?

Defaults are applied by grompp; the mdout.mdp file will show all default values
if you haven't specified them.  Otherwise, check out:

manual.gromacs.org

The behavior you are seeing is quite normal.  See here:

http://oldwiki.gromacs.org/index.php/pressure

-Justin

>     In another case I am using the following settings in the .mdp file:
>
> integrator      = md
> nsteps          = 50000
> dt              = 0.002
> nstlist         = 10
> rlist           = 1.0
> coulombtype     = pme
> rcoulomb        = 1.0
> vdw-type        = cut-off
> rvdw            = 1.0
> tcoupl          = v-rescale
> tc-grps         = protein non-protein
> tau-t           = 0.1 0.1
> ref-t           = 298 298
> Pcoupl          = Berendsen
> tau-p           = 1.0
> compressibility = 1e-5 1e-5 1e-5 0 0 0
> ref-p           = 1.0
> nstenergy       = 100
> define          = -DPOSRES
>

>     Can someone point me at some relevant information on how to
> troubleshoot large rapid pressure variations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Warren Gallin
> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use thewww

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080