[gmx-users] HEME-cysteine gromacs simulation

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 26 05:10:17 CEST 2009

You always need a correct topology. The main issue here is that you
need to have correct parameters. Where did you get your heme and Fe
parameters? Were you careful about the Fe state oxidation state? I
suspect that most people use Amber because of their antechamber
program, which seems like a brilliant idea even if it may overstretch
it's own parameterization without letting you know. I have no specific
advice for you here beyond saying that it is worth spending a month
figuring out what parameters you should really be using (hint: why
would you be using ffG43a1 if most others use Amber here? do you know
something that they don't?). This will end up saving you time in the
long run.

Note that ffG43a1 is the GROMOS forcefield, not the  GROMACS
forcefield. It is unfortunate that many programs (Amber, Charmm,
gromacs) have their own similarly named forcefield, but that does not
mean that the forcefield must be used with the associated program.
There are forcefields that are not associated with a program (OPLS)
and programs that never developed their own force field (NAMD,
Desmond, Tinker, LAMMPS), so it is perfectly ok for you to use the
amber forcefield with the gromacs program.

Bottom line: read, read, read.

Chris.