[gmx-users] How to neutralize net charge of protein and why

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 29 17:49:30 CEST 2009

Please do not include the text of the digest when composing a message.  It
throws off searches of the archives.

rituraj purohit wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> During first step of MD (pdb2gmx) I come to know that my protein having
> net charge -42 e (it has two chain, A and B each having -21 e ).
> Why neutral system is preferable for further steps of MD & what kind of
> problem encounter with charged system ?

There are theoretical reasons for not simulating a system with a net charge, but
more intuitively, life does not exist at net charge.  For every positive, there
is a negative somewhere.

> Should i have to add 21 Na+ to make it neutral, through "genion"?

No, you should add 42 Na+, since your system has a net -42e charge.

-Justin

> Regards,
> Rituraj

Justin A. Lemkul