[gmx-users] PME problems

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Mon Aug 31 14:06:09 CEST 2009

Hi Gloria,

there is nothing wrong with your parameters, the note just refers to
the direct:reciprocal workload being not optimal from a performance
point of view. With a small cutoff and a fine PME grid you will have
a high workload for the reciprocal space calculations - which is ok
and will yield correct results. However, it will not scale very well
to many cores. If you choose a larger value for rvdw, rlist and rcoulomb
and at the same time a larger value for fourierspacing, the scaling
will be better. You can manually multiply the cutoff radii and the
fourierspacing by a (small) factor and reach similar accuracy
while at the same time enabling better scaling.

You can also use the tool g_tune_pme for that, a version for
gmx 4.0.x is available here:

www.mpibpc.mpg.de/home/grubmueller/projects/MethodAdvancements/Gromacs/index.html

Carsten