[gmx-users] re:re:when using RB dihedral function, how to exclude 1-4 vdw ? (TJ Piggot)

XunJie Yang yangxunj at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Wed Dec 2 03:06:35 CET 2009

Tom wrote:
> If you read this part of the manual again you will see that it discusses
> this point of 1-4 interactions for the OPLS forcefield and RB dihedrals
> (and the same as discussed for OPLS is true for the AMBER forcefields using
> RB  potentials for dihedrals).
>
> Tom

  Thanks very much for your comment, and excuse me for my late reply.
  I guess this method may not work, although the function form has been transformed to normal dihedral function, the calculated dihedral energy still includes 1-4 vdw(during the function transformation, calculated energy doesn't change). So in this case(when the dihedral paremeters are deduced from RB parameters), even we are using normal dihedral function(V=A(1+cos(nw+w0)), we still need to exclude 1-4 vdw.
  In fact, in GMX manual page 102, I found that 1-4 vdw is deduced from normal vdw, by multiplying a scaling factor(this scaling scheme is utilized by amber FF, but GMX force field doesn't treat 1-4 vdw by scaling), so I have changed this scaling factor of 1-4 vdw to 0.0, and found 1-4 vdw energy became 0 in the energy minimization output. This is how I exclude 1-4 vdw now, but I have not found any other users who posted that they have solved this problem in the same way, so I think I need to consult the mailing list further whether this solve is right or wrong.

Yang Xunjie
2009-12-2