[gmx-users] any chance to write avoid writing out trr but only xtc file ?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 2 16:19:04 CET 2009

Thanks Berk,

I agree that a single file open action is not going to cause a lot of
system activity. We're simply trying to cut down wherever possible as
this is a large shared cluster where the activity of many users
distributed amongst 30K cores is overwhelming the GPFS. We have been
instructed to cut as many file operations as possible, and in this
type of environment it would also be nice to have an option to mdrun
that reduces the fexist operations (which I had not considered up to
this point). We have circumvented these issues by running in /dev/shm
and later moving the desired files to the hard disk.

I don't know exactly how many file operations it takes to cause GPFS
delay problems, but we actually have two important considerations: a)
the ability to minimally stress a physical file system in real terms;
and b) the ability to easily convince system administrators that the
computational tool is optimized for the given platform.

I don't think that this is likely to be a real problem for many users
right now, but it will certainly be a concern in the future as the
number of cores increases and physical filesystems become more and
more limited by disk operations.

Chris.