[gmx-users] amber force field in Gromacs

Lucio Ricardo Montero Valenzuela lucioric at ibt.unam.mx
Fri Dec 4 21:38:11 CET 2009

This kind of problems can occur if you were restraining atom positions and using
pressure coupling.
Best regards
Lucio.
Lucio Ricardo Montero Valenzuela
PhD Student

Laboratorio del Dr. Federico Sánchez

Ext. 27666

Departamento de Biología Molecular de Plantas

Instituto de Biotecnología, UNAM

Cuernavaca, Morelos, 62210

Mensaje citado por servaas <servaas.michielssens at student.kuleuven.be>:

> > > I generated own parameters, had an error tried to find out the problem,
> > > eventually I  tried with natural NA and got exactly the same problem.
> > > (The modified molecule was very similar to natural nucleic acids)

> > > True, but as all ready stated, in AMBER I can simulate this compound
> without any problems in vacuum.
> > > I also ran the simulation in gromacs with a solvent box and counter ions,
> same problem.
> > > So it is not a vacuum artefact.

> > > Not yet, I could ideed try this for the natural sequence, but the
> > > problem persists then for my modified molecule...

> > > Double precisions works both in solvent and in vacuum, single precision
> > > never...

> > > What problems do you expect from creating it in amber without solvent
> > > box and creating the box in gromacs? I applied this procedure before
> > > with success. (although this was with amb2gmx.pl, which I also tried
> > > here)

> > > Do you realy expect serious problems from this? Creating a molecule in
> > > vacuum and adding the box in GROMACS looks perfectly ok to me. Adding a
> > > box only adds a line in the .gro file about the box parameters, I do not
> > > see how this could influence anything else...
> > >
> > Well, it could. Are you using pbc or not? If you are then the rhombic
> > dodecahedron will indeed cause the periodic copies to be more closely
> > packed than for other boxes. I couldn't see any mentionong of pbc in
> > your mdp file.
> >
> > /Erik
>
> Yes of course the box could make a difference, but what I meant was does
> it make a difference if I create it in GROMACS or AMBER. I also tried
> running without PBC and with larger boxes, without luck...

> > > Ok, to keep things simple for the case of the natural NA:
> > > TLEAP
> > > tleap -f leaprc.ff99SB
> > > ad = sequence { DA5 DA DA3 }
> > > saveamberparm da da_amber.top da_amber.crd
> > >
> > > ACPYPI or AMB2GMX
> > > python acpypi.py -x ad_amber.crd -p ad_amber.top -o gmx -b ad_gro
> > > or with amb2gmx.pl
> > > ./amb2gmx.pl --prmtop ad_amber.top --crd ad_amber.crd --outname ad_gro
> > >

> > > GROMACS
> > > editconf -bt dodecahedron -d 1.0 -f ad_amber.gro -o ad_box.gro
> > > I run a minimization:
> > > grompp -f md.mdp -c ad_box.gro -p ad_gro.top -o em.tpr
> > > mdrun -deffnm em
> > > (Also tried putting a position restraint step in between, did not
> > > resolve the problem)
> > > grompp -f md.mdp -c em.gro -p ad_gro.top -o md.tpr
> > > mdrun -deffnm md

> UK

Lucio Ricardo Montero Valenzuela
Instituto de Biotecnologia, UNAM
Departamento de Biologia Molecular de Plantas
Av. Universidad 2001, Col. Chamilpa
Cuernavaca 62210
Mexico