[gmx-users] using trjconv to get a 2x2x2 unit cell for traj.xtc

Jennifer Williams Jennifer.Williams at ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 18:53:36 CET 2009

Hello,

I am trying to find a way around a visualisation problem I am having
in VMD. Some of my molecules go over periodic boundary conditions
meaning that bonds sometimes appear missing when looking at movies (I
am trying to fix this using wrap, unwrap and join in VMD but as yet no
luck).

I was wondering if there is a way in gromacs to multiply the number of
unit cells shown in a trajectory. i.e instead of a 1x1x1 I want the
new unit cell to be 2x2x2. This would mean the section of the
structure I want to zoom in doesn't go over the pbc.

For the confout.gro file I have done this using

genconf -nbox 2 2 2 -f confout.gro -o confbig.out

and this enables me to at least see a static image where all bonds are
present.

but in order to view a movie, I need to carry out something similar on
the traj.xtc file. I have seen that with trjconv there is the option

-box  Size for new cubic box

but my unit cell is not cubic, it is a parallelepiped. The cell
dimensions are :

4.64210   3.77847   1.89596   0.00000   0.00000  -2.18150   0.00000
0.00000   0.00000

I tried using this anyway with the following command:

trjconv -box 9.28414 8.72598 3.79192 -f traj.xtc -o trajbig.xtc

but the resulting .xtc file wouldn't load into VMD so I assume that
the .xtc file and the .gro file didn't match.

Any ideas?,

Thanks

Jenny

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.