[gmx-users] New ion parameters and OPLS-AA

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Dec 16 09:10:13 CET 2009

On 12/15/09 11:03 PM, Reza Salari wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> While I will try that (although it seems it needs quite amount of
> scripting), I remember in the past some people in the mailing list
> mentioned problems while using nonbond_params directvie with OPLS-AA and
> in response it was generally suggested to avoid doing this kind of
> mixing. Like Dr Abraham suggestion here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gmx-users@gromacs.org/msg23147.html
>
> Have you tried this kind of mixing for OPLS successfully, without being
> overridden by the default rules?
>
> The main thing that I am still unsure about is how the previously
> mentioned paper converted the sigma values for different combination
> rules. It seems that there must be a relatively direct way to do this
> without going through the re-parametrization process.

Unfortunately the combination rules are part of the parameterization,
simply because changing the combination rules means changing the
parameters. Hence I would suggest you look for ion parameters that are
compatible with your force field of choice, alternatively a force field
that is compatible with your ions of choice. Since these ion parameters
were developed by Tom Cheatham I presume that Amber would be a suitable
force field.