[gmx-users] sulfate atomtype for ffgmx

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 17 03:52:21 CET 2009

Niesen, Michiel wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to perform MD simulations on a molecule that contains a
> carbon chain with a sulfonyl (R-SO2-R) group in between. When looking at
> the available atomtypes for ffgmx I didnt find a sulfate S. Only sulfur
> (S) and DMSO sulphur atomtypes are available. In literature I did find
> GROMACS simulations performed on systems with a sulfate group but all of
> them used the standard Sulfur atomtype.

If there is precedent, you may be able to use it.  However, you should be warned
that ffgmx is considered a deprecated force field, and in the absence of a very
compelling reason to use it, probably isn't a wise choice.  There are many
(newer) versions of Gromos force fields that are probably more reliable.

> So my question; Would it be reasonable to use the sulfur atomtype for a
> sulfonyl group R-SO2-R? (as done previously in literature) If not, is
> there a sulfate atomtype available for ffgmx or would you recommend me
> to use another force field such as CHARMM for this system?

There are numerous sulfur atom types in OPLS-AA that may be usable.  Have a look
at the .atp file to see.  CHARMM is not yet officially supported in Gromacs, so
that force field probably isn't a viable option.

-Justin

> Kind regards,
>  Michiel

> SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING:
> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the individual
> or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law (e.g., personal health information, research data,
> financial information). Because this e-mail has been sent without
> encryption, individuals other than the intended recipient may be able to
> view the information, forward it to others or tamper with the
> information without the knowledge or consent of the sender. If you are
> not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for
> delivering the message to the intended recipient, any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If
> you received the communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by replying to this message and deleting the message and any
> accompanying files from your system. If, due to the security risks, you
> do not wish to receive further communications via e-mail, please reply
> to this message and inform the sender that you do not wish to receive
> further e-mail from the sender.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar