[gmx-users] tpr older version message

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 27 05:57:44 CET 2009

Jack Shultz wrote:
> I preped this ligand using acpypi followed by grompp
> grompp -f em.mdp -c ligand_GMX.gro -p ligand_GMX.top
> I tested this .tpr file on my server. WheI had another computer run it
> I get the following message. However we are using the same versions of
> gromacs.
>
> Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.2#

> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: tpxio.c, line: 1643
>
> Fatal error:
> Can not read file topol.tpr,
>              this file is from a Gromacs version which is older than 2.0
>              Make a new one with grompp or use a gro or pdb file, if possible

I'd say it's evident that if the file is not corrupted (use gmxcheck),
the GROMACS installations weren't the same (unmodified) version.
Reproduce the conditions and run grompp -h to inspect the version.

Perhaps you are having a problem with a shared-library mismatch.

If you have such an old version of GROMACS around, either uninstall it
and retire the sysadmin, or send the computer to a museum :-)