[gmx-users] Replica Exchange MD on more than 64 processors

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 28 00:56:43 CET 2009

bharat v. adkar wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Mark Abraham wrote:
>
>> bharat v. adkar wrote:

>>> 'protein in
>>> (How-Tos ->
>>> simulations). > >   After
>>> from the
>>> command-line, it > >  gives
>>> chk_.tpr > >  -v
>>> > >
>>> ***********************************************************************
>>> memory and 16GB > >  of
>>> it > >   shows
>>> with > >  cluster
>>> run on > >   the
>>> varying > >  number
>>> any job > >  with
>>> problem. > >  As
>>> the > >   above
>>> than you >  have available. If so, running multiple MPI processes per
>>> physical CPU >  can lead to memory shortage conditions.
>>>
>>>  I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean, there might be more
>>> than 8
>>>  processes running per node (each node has 8 processors)? But that also
>>>  does not seem to be the case, as SGE (sun grid engine) output shows
>>> only
>>>  eight processes per node.
>>
>> 65 processes can't have 8 processes per node.
> why can't it have? as i said, there are 8 processors per node. what i
> have not mentioned is that how many nodes it is using. The jobs got
> distributed over 9 nodes. 8 of which corresponds to 64 processors + 1
> processor from 9th node.

OK, that's a full description. Your symptoms are indicative of someone
making an error somewhere. Since GROMACS works over more than 64
processors elsewhere, the presumption is that you are doing something
wrong or the machine is not set up in the way you think it is or should
be. To get the most effective help, you need to be sure you're providing
full information - else we can't tell which error you're making or
(potentially) eliminate you as a source of error.

> As far I can tell you, job distribution seems okay to me. It is 1 job
> per processor.

Does non-REMD GROMACS run on more than 64 processors? Does your cluster
support using more than 8 nodes in a run? Can you run an MPI "Hello
world" application that prints the processor and node ID across more
than 64 processors?

Mark