[gmx-users] Advice for simulating small DNA

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 2 00:48:01 CET 2009

Joshua Ballanco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to model a system involving a small DNA 3-mer. Without
> any explicit constraints, the helix begins to come apart around 0.75 ns
> to 1 ns into the simulation.

Presumably you have a 3-mer of helices, of which at least one comes
apart. Does a single helix in water survive? (Giving a better
description of your simulation system would be a good idea!)

> So I'm now attempting to add restraints for
> the base-pair H-bonds, but I'm having trouble. It seems like no matter
> what I try, my system reliably explodes within the first 1 ns. My
> constraints look like this:
>
> [ distance_restraints ]
> ; ai  aj  type  index type’ low up1 up2 fac
>  18  136 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>  14  134 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>  43  114 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>  39  112 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>  68   92 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>  64   90 1     0     2     0.0 2.0 2.1 1.0
>
> I've tried pre-equilibrating for up to 100 ps, but even that doesn't
> prevent the system from eventually exploding.

Your .mdp settings for distance restraints may also be relevant here -
not least in setting the existence and magnitude of these restraints.

> If, however, I remove the
> distance restraints, the simulation has no problem.

Hmmm? This seems to contradict what you say above.

Mark