[gmx-users] energy groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 3 00:46:00 CET 2009

Liu Shiyong wrote:

>         Here is my command.
>
>          pdb2gmx -ignh -ff G53a6 -f b.pdb -p a6.top -i a6.posre.itp -o
>         a6.gro
>
>          pdb2gmx -ignh -ff G53a6 -f b.pdb -o a.pdb
>

>     Why are you running pdb2gmx twice?  Unless you have multiple
>     proteins, and need multiple topologies, you should not be doing this.
>

> That's because the *.gro file does not include chain id information.
>
> If I run  make_ndx -f a6.gro -o a6.ndx
>
> I will get :
>
> Found 0 atoms with chain identifiers A AND B
>  >
> Found 0 atoms with chain identifier C

Alright, I was just confused why you're running pdb2gmx twice to get the desired
output.  If you need a .pdb file, then just choose it as your output format the
first time you run the command.  I would recommend not dealing with multiple
iterations of the same command; it can lead to confusion.

>          editconf -f a6.gro -o a6.gro -d 20.0
>

>     You realize that the units of -d are nm, right?  Do you need such a
>     huge solute-box distance?
>
> I know the units is nm.

Just checking :)

<snip>

>                -------------------------------------------------------
>                Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.2
>                Source code file: grompp.c, line: 150
>                Fatal error:
>                atoms 1 and 2 in charge group 1 of molecule type
>         'Protein_A' are
>                in different energy groups

There is still some sort of disconnect between topology numbering (which is
where charge groups are defined), and the structure you are using.  Can you post
the first *few* lines of your .pdb file, [ atoms ] section of the .top, and the
relevant index groups?

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080