[gmx-users] Advice for simulating small DNA

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 02:37:32 CET 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:

> No, I've no idea since I don't simulate DNA.

In that case, thank you the help that much more!

>>> disre-fc and others are also relevant. See manual chapter 7.
>> Thanks for the pointer. I had overlooked most of the options there,
>> since I'm not actually doing anything related to NMR. (That'll
>> teach me to read more carefully!) Unfortunately, playing around
>> with this, disre-tau, disre-weighting, and the weighting factors
>> for each bond have not, so far, avoided the explosion.
>
> OK, that's no longer surprising - distance restraints will not
> usefully fix a broken model physics.

Well, yes, but I also wouldn't expect them to break the broken physics
further... I realize the system I was using originally was rather
unphysical, but the DNA helix at least was at least *mostly* holding
together. When I add the distance restraints, even with very large
multipliers, the seem to serve only to tear apart the helix. Odd...

>>> I agree with Justin that these are very weird for normal usage.
>> Thanks for pointing that out. I'm relatively new with Gromacs, and
>> hastily reduced these values to fix the relatively small box my
>> system fits in. I doubled the short box dimension (triclinic; was --
>> > 2.0, 2.1, 1.1 now --> 2.0, 2.1, 2.0) and increased the radii to
>> the (as far as I can tell) more recommended values:
>> coulombtype         =  PME
>> rlist               =  0.9
>> rcoulomb            =  0.9
>> rvdw                =  0.9
>> fourierspacing      =  0.12
>
> Well, that's more like it. Values for these parameters are actually
> intrinsic to the forcefield parametrization process, and one should
> vary them only with caution. This algorithmic constraint sets a
> minimum size for the simulation, of course.
>
> When using PBC, just fitting your system into a box doesn't address
> the real issue. In a real solution this 3-mer would be close to
> infinite dilution, which can't be modeled without a serious chunk of
> solvent around it. This consideration dwarfs the algorithmic one I
> refer to above.
>
>> Unfortunately, even with all of these changes, I'm still getting an
>> explosion (and my simulation is quite a bit slower).
>
> Anyone can get quick random numbers - you don't even need a
> simulation package :-P There's no substitute for background
> literature reading, doing tutorials, and experimenting with
> preparedness for failure. :-)

Agreed, and thank you for all the help. I've decided to get a bit
creative, and work around the whole short-DNA fragment issue all
together. The new approach will also reduce the number of simulations
I'm looking at doing from ~6000 to ~20, so I don't have to worry about
the larger boxes taking so much longer to simulate.

Again, thanks for everything!

- Josh