[gmx-users] energy groups

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 3 03:32:26 CET 2009

Liu Shiyong wrote:
> Hi, Mark,
>
> I tried your suggestion.
>
> + pdb2gmx -ignh -ff G53a6 -f b.pdb -p a6.top -i a6.posre.itp -o a6.pdb
> + editconf -f a6.pdb -o a6.gro -d 20.0
> + make_ndx -f a6.pdb -o a6.ndx
> + grompp -maxwarn 10 -f em.mdp -c a6.gro -n a6.ndx -p a6.top -o a6.input.tpr
>
> title               =  b
> cpp                 =  /usr/bin/cpp
> integrator          =  cg
> dt                  =  0.002    ; ps !
> nsteps              =  1
> rlist               =  0.55
> nstlist             =  0
> vdwtype             =  Cut-off
> rvdw                =  0.6
> coulombtype         =  Cut-off
> epsilon_r           =  2
> rcoulomb            =  0.6
> energy_grps         =  chAANDB_&_!H* chC_&_!H*

Here you're defining two energy groups. GROMACS calculates non-bonded
interactions by looping over all charge groups within an energy group.
Thus, as the error message says, you have an inconsistent set of these
groups. It seems to me no purpose could be served by such energy groups.
Force fields are not made to be decomposable in any such fashion.