[gmx-users] heat exchanges

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:33:24 CET 2009

> From: x.periole at rug.nl
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] heat exchanges
> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:24:28 +0100
>

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 3:17 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>
> > Berk Hess wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Strictly speaking you should never have thermostats for separate
> >> parts
> >> of the system when those parts are coupled through potentials.
> >> But in practice you can have integration errors which heat or cool
> >> different
> >> parts of the system in different ways.
> >> I think that for most systems only the electrostatics treatment
> >> will have
> >> a significant effect. Plain Coulomb cut-off and reaction-field both
> >> produce
> >> large integration errors.
> the problem is due to errors with berendsen bath which eats up the
> water and therefore the protein gets cooled down while it does not need.
> The separation avoid this.
> I think links/shake have similar effects.

No, this problem is not due to the Berendsen thermostat.
The integrations errors in the electrostatics have much more effect
on the water than on the protein, because the water has higher charges
and is far more mobile. No thermostat can correct for these errors,
unless you use multiple groups.
In addition the Berendsen thermostat will move energy from fast to
slow motions. This effects becomes much stronger when the thermostat
has to do a lot of scaling due to the heat generated by cut-off's.

Inaccurate constraining will remove heat from the system, but this
effect is orders of magnitude smaller than the Coulomb cut-off heating.

Berk