[gmx-users] g_hbond angle def

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Feb 6 07:47:55 CET 2009

rob yang wrote:
> Hi list,
> What's the geometric relation b/w the commonly used Donor-H-Acceptor
> angle and the gromacs implementation of Acceptor-Donor-H angle? I guess
> I don't quite follow why it's valid to define the ADH cutoff as 30
> degrees, the same angle most commonly used to define DHA, which suggests
> ADH==DHA?! Even the van der Spoel, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2006, 110 (9), pp
> 4393–4398 paper used the DHA<=30 degrees definition. I must be missing
> something, and after hours of drawing triangles any help would be welcome.

This is kind of embarassing indeed, the confusion has lingered in my
head too long apparently. Obviously the DHA angle in a linear Hbond is
180, so it should either be 180-DHA or ADH. The ADH angle is what's
implemented in gromacs > 3.2.1, however in 3.1.4 it still was DHA. The
default maximum angle has changed from 60 in gmx 3.1.4 (based on Kabsch
and Sander 1983) to 30 (from 3.2.1 onwards, based on other literature).
So my paper uses ADH, even though it says DHA.