[gmx-users] Free energy perturbation of Cu(I) binding

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:08:31 CET 2009

Hi,

> Thanks David, But if I just remove the Copper atom and do the
> simulation as copper is charged there would be sudden change in
> electrostatics and the protein started unfolding when I ran the
> simulation for 10ns. So I thought perturbing the charge by little
> every time I can get a structure with more reasonable than artifacts.
> Can you please correct me if I am thinking in a wrong way.
> abhigna

The other thing I would remark in response to this is that you may
want to think carefully about equilibration and convergence.

Here's what I mean. There is in principle nothing wrong with
drastically changing the electrostatics as long as your system is able
to reach equilibrium again after you do this. Changing the
electrostatics more slowly might have the same end result (or it might
not).

If  you don't believe your system will unfold in the absence of the
copper ion, you can do what others suggested and apply some position
restraints to the protein for  awhile to help it "equilibrate" in the
absence of copper without unfolding. Or you can do what you suggest.
If you want to do what you suggest I'd just make the B state charge on
the copper ion be zero and use a small lambda step with the free
energy code turned on using linear scaling. Then in a time-dependent
way over the course of your simulation, turn the charge to zero. Once
that's done, just delete the copper ion and proceed.

However, at some point, you'll need to make sure you explore the
energy landscape enough to establish some level of consequence that
the preferred state for the protein in the absence of the copper isn't
the unfolded state (I'm not talking experimentally, here -- I'm
talking about with your particular parameters).

David Mobley, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
University of New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70148