[gmx-users] Barostat & Density decreasing to zero

Omer Markovitch omermar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:16:36 CET 2009

Dear All,
I have simulated a protein inside a box with water and ions. I began by
minimizing my system (which has a total charge of zero), until the maximum
gradient was small enough and the potential energy become negative.
Then I heated it, slowly, to 300K at constant volume (using berendsen
thermostat and tcoupl = 1 ps).
Then I performed 500 ps NVT simulation to equilibrate the temperature, at
300K.
Then, I tried to equilibrate the pressure and run NPT simulation, using
Berendsen barostat (p=1, pcoupl=10) and Berendsen thermostat (T=300K, tcoupl
= 0.1).

My problem is, that with the barostat & thermostat both active in the same
MD run, my density drops to a very low value (at the first MD steps, the
density is 1000, dropping later to 100 kg/m^3). That is- my box dimensions
increase significantly (from around 6x6x6 to 12x12x12 nm^3. If I change the
pressure coupling constant, the speed of the expansion changes but all
simulation converged to a small density between 50-100 kg/m3.

Your help is appreciated; Probably, I am not controlling the simulation like
I should. I will appreciate any advice.
Thank you, Omer Markovitch.

I have used gromacs version 3.3.3, Here is my .MDP file for the NPT run:

integrator               = md
dt                       = 0.001
nsteps                   = 500000
comm_grps                = system