[gmx-users] pull code, lambda, and soft core availability

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 13 03:15:50 CET 2009

Upon further investigation, it appears that a soft core may help in
this case. This is in spite of the fact that the problem is not a
singularity, but that the dgdl term (dgdl=0.5*(Fc_B-Fc_A)*(r-r0)^2)
gives very large values for Fc_A large enough to be significantly
restraining and Fc_B = zero, where the sampling in the B state is
massively unlikely to occur in the A state. I had originally thought
that the lambda parameter would get included in dgdl
(http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2009-February/003004.html)
but that is obviously not the case.

I have found an alternative solution, but in case anyone else wants to
follow this path in the future, it is possible that a lambda squared
dependence would give improved behaviour since lambda would then be
included in the dgdl equation. My quite possibly incorrect attempt at
differentiation yields dgdl=(lambda-0.5)*Fc_A*(r-r0)^2 in this case
where Fc_B=0.0, but in any event the (1-lambda)^2 term will ensure
that lambda hangs around in some form, and this should reduce the
uncertainties that occur near and at the no-restraint state.

Chris.