[gmx-users] Virial from non-bonded forces

Omololu Akin-Ojo prayerz4users at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 21:18:44 CET 2009

Dear David,

Thanks for your response. It was very valuable. I looked in the codes to locate the place(s) where GROMACS obtains/accumulates the shifted forces and as far as I could see, GROMACS does this correctly for the short-range forces and re-distributes the forces on the virtual sites unto the real/atomic  sites before calculating the virial.
For the long-range forces (Ewald, SPME), however, one has to use all the possible (infinite number of) images but GROMACS does not do this; personally, I think it is impossible to do this.

There is, however, this important point: if the position of the dummy scales the same way as those of the real sites, then one does not need to re-distribute the forces in order to calculate the virial -- simply treat all sites in the same way. Thus, for dummy types 1,2,3, the virial calculated (even with Ewald) will be correct since r_d(L*r_1, ..., L*r_n) = L*r_d(r_1, ..., r_n) where r_d is the dummy site and r_1, ..., r_n are the real/atomic sites. For types 3fd,  3fad, 3out, and 4fd for which the position of the virtual site does not scale like those of the real sites, the virial calculated in GROMACS will be correct only for the short-range forces (since this is done correctly in the code) but not for the long-range ones. Note, however, that for rigid molecules, since the intramolecular bondlengths are constant, one can replace certain magnitudes |( )|  by constants in  3fd,  3fad, and 4fd. [In 3out replace by c/sqrt(|rij| * |rik|) ] so that r_d will
 scale just like any r_i or any r_ij. Thus, for rigid monomers (eg TIP5P), one again gets the correct contribution to the virial from long-range forces.
Fortunately, I do not know any flexible models out there that use 3fd,  3fad, 3out, and 4fd for the virtual sites.

Thanks for your time!

o.