[gmx-users] analysis using Gromacs tools

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 23 22:48:24 CET 2009

You will require a .tpr file for many analysis tools. In some cases,
you can get away with a .ndx file. Check g_thistool -h to see what is
mandatory input. You can make a .ndx file if you have a .pdb using
make_ndx -f my.pdb -o my.ndx and then select your groups. If you need
a .tpr file, then you will need a gromacs .top topology file to run
your .pdb and .top through grompp and generate the .tpr. Generating
your .top may be simple if you have a simple system. Try downloading
the amber forcefield that is formatted for gromacs and running your
.pdb through pdb2gmx while selecting that amber ff in order to
generate a .top file.

Note that if you need a .tpr file this is all going to require that
you learn how to use gromacs and will not be completed in one afternoon.

The gromacs manual is quite good.

Chris.