[gmx-users] problem in running gromacs demo

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 26 12:14:08 CET 2009

nitu sharma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>                        I  have successfully installed the gromacs 4.0.3
> it is working but the problem is when I want to run the gromacs demo
> during processing when I put the command "grompp -v" the output like
> this ,:-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:
>
>                   Gromacs Runs On Most of All Computer Systems
>
>                             :-)  VERSION 4.0.3  (-:
>

>       Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
>        Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
>              Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
>             check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
>          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>           modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>          as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>              of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
>                                 :-)  grompp  (-:
>
> Option     Filename  Type         Description
>   -f     grompp.mdp  Input, Opt.  grompp input file with MD parameters
>  -po      mdout.mdp  Output       grompp input file with MD parameters
>   -c       conf.gro  Input        Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
>   -r       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
>  -rb       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
>   -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
>   -p      topol.top  Input        Topology file
>  -pp  processed.top  Output, Opt. Topology file
>   -o      topol.tpr  Output       Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
>   -t       traj.trr  Input, Opt.  Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
>   -e       ener.edr  Input, Opt.  Energy file: edr ene
>
> Option       Type   Value   Description
> -[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
> -nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
> -[no]v       bool   yes     Be loud and noisy
> -time        real   -1      Take frame at or first after this time.
> -[no]rmvsbds bool   yes     Remove constant bonded interactions with virtual
>                             sites
> -maxwarn     int    0       Number of allowed warnings during input
> processing
> -[no]zero    bool   no      Set parameters for bonded interactions without
>                             defaults to zero instead of generating an error
> -[no]renum   bool   yes     Renumber atomtypes and minimize number of
>                             atomtypes
>
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'domain-decomposition'
> Replacing old mdp entry 'unconstrained-start' by 'continuation'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'dihre-tau'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'nstdihreout'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'nstcheckpoint'
>
> WARNING 1 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:
>   Unknown or double left-hand 'bd-temp' in parameter file
>

> checking input for internal consistency...
>
> NOTE 1 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:
>   The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
>   distribution. You might want to consider using the V-rescale thermostat.

> [...]

The existence of this list doesn't mean you don't have to do your own
detective work! Nobody's paying any of us to help anybody, and we'll be
much more inclined to give our valuable time to you if you've
demonstrated a genuine attempt to solve your own problem.

This error message is explicit. There's a fatal error because there's
too many warnings. There's one warning given. Read it and draw your own
conclusions :-)

Whatever demonstration you're doing was also probably written for a
GROMACS version below 4, so you should expect some differences.