[gmx-users] Cannot obtain the expected pressure using the Parrinello-Rahman coupling in a gas-liquid system

GuoGuangjun guogj at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:51:15 CET 2009

Hi, Justin,

Thanks for your rapid reply. Let me decribes the question in more details.
First ,two gaseous mathane systems and one liquid water system are equilibrated at 300 bar and 250 K in advance. Then, the gas systems are put at the both sides of liquid. The combined system is performed for 3ns with the Parrinello-Rahman barostat, which produces a average pressure of 327 bar. I am strange to the value and several tests are run, mentioned previously. All these test runs take the end gro file of the 3ns-run as the beginning. When the berendsen barostat is used, the pressure is OK. When the Parrinello-Rahman barostat is used, the questionary pressure occurs again. Although I will try to make a long run for equilibrium, I think the equilibrium has reached because the ~330 bar is always obtained no matter how long simulations are sampled, from 0.2 ns to 3 ns. The version of Gromacs I used is 4.0.4. By the way, how long did you equilibrate your membrane system and how many atoms in it? Thanks again.

Guang-Jun