[gmx-users] restraining Ca2+ ion

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 8 00:07:39 CET 2009

jayant james wrote:
> Hi!
> In the protein of my interest I find that oxygen atoms of Thr, Tyr and
> Ser are close to the bound Ca2+. So is there any information on charge
> modifications that need to be made for the specified amino acids in the
> gromacs force field, such that the Ca2+ would stay and not stray!

I should hope you're not using the "Gromacs force field" (ffgmx), it has long
been deprecated.  You are better off with a more modern Gromos96 parameter set.

I think the best procedure would first to refer to the citation you were
provided earlier today, then proceed with a further literature search.  Has
anyone simulated a similar protein with any success?  You may be in for some
parameterization if you find the existing parameters inadequate.  Beware, such
work is very difficult.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080