[gmx-users] atom H is missing in the first residue in a chain

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:59:00 CET 2009

Zhong Zheng wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am running Gromacs on a three-chain protein. The program complains
> about "atom H is missing in residue ALA 1 in the pdb file, You might
> need to add atom H to the hydrogen database of residue ALA in the file
> ff???.hdb (see the manual)". It's a warning message. I can use the
> option -missing to ignore it. However I would like to understand this.
> It's always the first residue in the chain. So I am thinking this is
> because they are the n-terminus. Then why no complain about c-terminus?
> How can I fix this?

Use -ignh to allow the relevant .hdb file to add the appropriate hydrogens.  The
problem is that, without -ignh, pdb2gmx expects all atoms (including H) to be
present in the .pdb file.  If you are using a crystal structure, this
requirement will not be satisfied.

Likely pdb2gmx does not complain about the C-terminus because it is
unprotonated, or otherwise the program exits after finding a missing N-terminal
hydrogen.

As an aside, using -missing is generally a very bad idea, unless you have a very
specific (and anticipated!) reason to use it.

-Justin

> Thanks a lot.
>

> Zhong Zheng
> Ph.D candidate
> Physics Dept., City College-CUNY
> Marshak Science Building J-419 ,
> 160 Convent Ave,
> New York, NY 10031 USA
> Tel: (212)650-6079
> MCCE wiki: scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/MCCE
> <http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/MCCE>

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080