[gmx-users] free energy with TIP4P bug fixed

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 29 17:18:44 CET 2009

Berk, David, and other developers,

I believe that all the relevant information has already been posted,
but since I use TIP4P ubiquitously, I would like to get some
clarification regarding simulations that may be affected. I currently
understand that:

1. Utilization of TIP4P in the absence of the free_energy code is
currently believed to be without error in gromacs 3.3 through 4.0.3
2. Combining TIP4P and the free-energy code may lead to the errors noted.
3. Combining TIP4P and the free-energy code with at least 3 energy
groups (TIP4P, perturbed atoms, rest of system) will not lead to the
errors noted. This would only require 2 energy groups if the system
was composed of only TIP4P and the perturbed atoms.

It would be very useful for me if somebody could validate the
statements above or state any incorrections in those statements.

Thank you,
Chris.