[gmx-users] Re: Problems with non-bonded interactions using OPLSAA

Dimitris Dellis ntelll at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:43:19 CEST 2009

Hi.
I found the same behavior with both 3 (3.3.3) and 4 (4.0.5) versions on
x86_64.
What I found is :
1. gen-pair correctly generates the 1-4 parameters (verified with
gmxdump -s topol.tpr)
    But with no [pairs] defined, 1-4 interactions
    are not calculated no matter what the scale factor is.
   One has to define the [pairs] to calculate scaled 1-4.
2. It seems that in the case of nrexcl 2 and pairs defined, the 1-4
interactions are calculated twice
    (once with scaling 1 in LJ(SR)  and once scaled by whatever the
scaling factor is in LJ-14)
    With nrexcl 3 and pairs defined only the scaled 1-4 are calculated.

Probably the manual is not clear at this point (p.99 of v4 manual),
where it states :
/The GROMOS force fields list all these interactions explicitly, but
this section might be
empty for force fields like OPLS that calculate the 1-4 interactions by
scaling./

To verify this I did :
zero steps with a single molecule in a large box, varying nrexcl and
scaling factors with pairs defined.
What I found is :
NREXCL       SCALE FACTOR        LJ(SR)              LJ-14
2                    0.0                                 3.22186
      0
2                    0.5                                 3.22186
     2.58086
2                    1.0                                 3.22186
     5.16172
3                    0.0                                -1.93987
        0
3                    0.5                                -1.93987
      2.58086
3                    1.0                                -1.93987
      5.16172

Scaling in 1-4 works as it is expected.
The total LJ (LJ(SR) + LJ-14) in the case of nrexcl 3 and scale factor
1.0 is 3.22185 that is equal to
the LJ(SR) in the case of nrexcl 2 and scale factor 0. This means that
with nrexcl 2,
the 1-4 are calculated unscaled no matter the value of  scaling factor
AND scaled by scaling factors,
i.e. scaling 1.5 instead of 0.5 as Mike notes,
Similar for Coulombic interactions.
What I use is nrexcl 3 and pairs defined.

DD