[gmx-users] Re: Problems with non-bonded interactions using OPLSAA

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:55:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

Again, to avoid confusion:
there are two (or three) completely separate parts to this issue in Gromacs.

1) The generation of the actual pair interactions in the [ pairs ] section
in the topology (.top) file. pdb2gmx does this for you.
If you write a topology by hand, you also have to add the 1-4 interactions
in the [ pairs ] section by hand.

2) The generation of the interaction parameters for the interactions
in the [ pairs ] section. This is what gen-pairs switches and this is what
the comment in the manual is about. Pair parameters are taken from
the [ pairtypes ] section in the force field file or topology file.
If parameters are not found for a certain pair of atom types in [ pairtypes ],
they will be generated when gen-pairs is true, a fatal error will be
generated when gen-pairs is false.
(I will change "interactions" to "interaction parameters" in the quoted
line of the manual.)

3) pairs are bonded interactions and bonded interactions in no way affect
the calculation of non-bonded interactions in Gromacs. Thus to not calculate
interactions twice, you need to use nrexcl=3 when you put 1-4 interactions
in the [ pairs ] section.

Berk