[gmx-users] Segmentation Fault (Address not mapped)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 27 23:48:02 CEST 2009

Darrell Koskinen wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> With regard to your comment about using other force fields for my
> simulation of graphene surrounded by ammonia gas, are referring to the
> force fields for both graphene and ammonia or only to the force field
> for graphene?

The "force field" should be one in the same.  The parameters should be suitably
derived using the same scheme as the original work.

> I reviewed my selection of the force field parameters for graphene and
> see that I selected the parameters from the paper by Cornell et al.
> since a paper on deformation of carbon nanotubes ("A structural
> mechanics approach for the analysis of carbon nanotubes" by Chunyu Li,
> Tsu-Wei Chou in International Journal of Solids and Structures 40 (2003)
> 2487–2499) used parameters from the paper by Cornell et al. Is this
> sufficient to justify the use of these parameters? I also thought that
> graphene and ammonia would be considered organic since they are
> comprised of carbon, nitrogen, and hydrogen, which are all common
> elements found in organic matter.

If you feel that precedent is sufficient, then I guess go ahead.  But realize
that the paper by Cornell et al. refers to parameters suitable for simulations
of proteins and nucleic acids, as well as a few organic functional groups.
Parameterization was based on peptide backbone geometry, as well as other
parameters, likely none of which involved graphene and gaseous ammonia (they
were doing liquid simulations).

> With regard to the parameters for ammonia, is it acceptable to use the
> parameters from the paper by Cornell et al. or do I need to find papers
> specifically related to ammonia gas molecular dynamics simulations?

I would seriously consider finding parameters (if they exist) that have been
derived for use with gas-phase simulations.

> With regard to dihedral selection, I looked at the .top file and see
> that the function type is listed as 3 in the dihedrals section, which I
> believe indicates that my simulation is using a Ryckaert-Bellemans
> function. It appears to me that if I am using the OPLS force field that
> the Ryckaert-Bellemans dihedral type is automatically selected. I do see
> in the ffoplsaabon.itp file that there is an improper dihedral
> definition which think I could potentially use in my simulation
> "improper_Z_CA_X_Y", but how do I cause my simulation to use this
> definition? Do I need to add the following line to my .top file?
> "#define improper_Z_CA_X_Y"

No, you would have to use a special dihedrals section, that specifies the four
atoms involved (function type 1), followed by the specification of that
particular improper ("improper_Z_CA_X_Y").  See the manual for more details,
and/or generate a topology for a protein with pdb2gmx with OPLS-AA and see how
they're defined.

> Further, I thought that I could simply modify the appropriate lines of
> the ffoplsaanb.itp and ffoplsaabon.itp to enter in the parameters found
> in the paper by Cornell et al. so that they will be used in my
> simulation. Am I correct in my assumption?

Modifying ffoplsaa files to parameters that are not OPLS-AA is probably a bad
choice.  If you're dead-set on using these parameters, download the ffamber
ports and use the ffamber94 force field, not some Frankensteined-OPLS.  Besides,
all of the parameters in the Cornell paper are in kcal/mol/A^2, which will
require conversion to Gromacs standard units.  If you've printed them directly
in your previous attempts, I can guarantee you you're not getting the values you
think you are.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate