[gmx-users] POSITION-RESTRAIN

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 28 04:24:25 CEST 2009

Sounds to me like you have a 52 atom lipid and have a posre.itp file
with more than 52 atoms (or referencing atom numbers greater than 52).
What one usually does is has a somelipid.itp file that, upon some .mdp
define, includes a someposre.itp file that looks like this:

[ position_restraints ]
; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
      8     1  1000  1000  1000

where for a 52 atom lipid I assume that you are using Berger lipids
and atom 8 is the Phosphorous.

On the other hand, if you have a .itp file that specifies N-lipids,
then you would need lots of [ position_restraints ]. Caution: this is
not the best way to go as you will need to modify many files every
time you set up a new bilayer.

As an analogy, look at the way that the SOL (tip4p in this case) posre
is applied in a generic .top out of pdb2gmx:

#include "tip4p.itp"
#ifdef POSRES_SOL
; Position restraint for each water oxygen
[ position_restraints ]
;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
    1    1       1000       1000       1000
#endif

where it is a per-molecule atomic index definition such that "atom 1"
is applied to each solvent molecule.

If you are still unclear, I strongly suspect that there is a gmx
manual description of all of this, and suggest that you read the
manual in search of it. If you can't find one then probably you should
complain back to this list about the absence of a section that should
definitely be there.

Chris.