[gmx-users] Re: [gmx-developers] Fwd: Simulating Gases with GROMACS 4.0

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 3 00:49:00 CEST 2009

This message is better discussed on the gmx-users list, since it is not
pertinent to development.  I have CC'ed gmx-users at gromacs.org, and further
discussion belongs there.

PRADEEP VENKATARAMAN wrote:

> [...]

Then I doubt you are in the gas phase.  Just because you don't have solvent
(i.e., water) does not mean you have a gas.  This box is probably too small to
properly describe a gaseous system, which is mostly empty space.

> When I try running at NPT simulation using the following pressure
> coupling parameters,
>
> Pcoupl         =       parrinello-rahman
> Pcoupltype   =       isotropic
> tau_p           =       2.0
> compressibility =   9.9e-1
> ref_p           =       1.0

Posting the rest of your .mdp file is more useful.  Snippets like this hide the
possibility that you've done something else wrong.

> I encounter the following error. Please help

> Step 16271, time 32.542 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
> relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
> rms 0.001545, max 0.019029 (between atoms 556 and 557)
> bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
>  atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
>     556    560   55.3    0.1113   0.1072      0.1092
>     556    557   50.9    0.1114   0.1071      0.1092

> Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: constr.c, line: 136
>
> Fatal error:
> Too many LINCS warnings (1001)
> If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning
> threshold in your mdp file
> or set the environment variable GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1,
> but normally it is better to fix the problem

This issue is reported frequently in the case of an unstable system, i.e.:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#LINCS.2FSETTLE.2FSHAKE_warnings
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/blowing_up

If you want any more useful advice, you'll have to describe:

1. Your parameters (force field)
2. The full .mdp file
3. Your preparation steps (minimization, equilibration)

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Pradeep

Justin A. Lemkul