[gmx-users] Resizing heterogeneous membrane (POPG/POPE mixture)

Nicolas Sapay nicolas.sapay at cermav.cnrs.fr
Wed Jun 3 15:23:20 CEST 2009

Shay Amram a écrit :

> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I have been trying to expand a membrane by a non-integer multiplier
> (for example X1.5). This can be done using
>
> *genbox -cs Membrane.gro -o Expanded_membrane.gro –box 1.5X 1.5Y Z***
>
> This has worked very good with _homogenous_ membranes, and only very
> short equilibrium times were required to re-equilibrate the membrane
> (~10-20ns).
>
> Now I am trying to deal the same way with _heterogeneous_ membrane
> (POPG/POPE mixture, Mikko Karttunen et. al).
>
> When trying to invoke the above command to the POPG/POPE membrane I
> get a membrane with different compositions of lipids in the upper and
> lower leaflets.
>
> This happens (so I suspect) because the arrangement of lipids in each
> leaflet is somewhat different so that the molecules that "get' to be
> multiplied do not conserve the
>
> same ratio of different lipids as in the original structure (which has
> ratio of 1:3 POPG/POPE).
>
> Is there a way to multiply the membrane by a _non-integer_ number AND
> somehow conserve the ratio of different lipid species too?
>
> Or at the very least, to have both upper and lower leaflets identical
> after multiplication? (This, too, would help immensely).

This is quite a difficult task unfortunately. Personally, I create a
membrane patch larger than the one I want (e.g. 2x 2y 1z), load the gro
file into VMD, then cut a patch the size/composition I need. That means
doing selections like:

    set sel [atomselect top "same resid as (x<... and x>... and y<...
    and y>...)"]

Checking the number of lipids in each layer:

    [atomselect top "resname DOPG and name P1 and z>... and (same resid
    as (x<... and x>... and y<... and y>...))"] num
    [atomselect top "resname DOPG and name P1 and z<... and (same resid
    as (x<... and x>... and y<... and y>...))"] num

Completing the selection by manually adding the residues I need:

    set sel [atomselect top "same resid as (x<... and x>... and y<...
    and y>...) or resid ..."]

Saving the coordinates:

    animate write pdb sel $sel

This is a tidy task and some equilibration is still required after that.
Basic knowledge of TCL/VMD scripting languages may be required to
facilitate/automate the work.

Nicolas